Applications for assistance can be submitted from July 1 to November 1 for fall/winter programs.
- Call 1-877-616-6600. Based on your postal code, a Call Centre representative will provide a contact on the closest Canadian Tire Jumpstart Chapter.
- When calling your local Canadian Tire Jumpstart Chapter representative, be prepared to provide your contact information and the details of the sport or recreational activity your child would like to participate in. You may also be asked to provide financial information in order to prove eligibility for funding.
- Applicants will be notified by the local Canadian Tire Jumpstart Chapter representative if they are approved or if further information is required.
- All information received is kept confidential.
The total funding that each qualified child can receive in any one submission period (e.g., spring/summer for baseball, fall/winter for hockey) will vary based on Chapter budgets and demand. Grants are provided directly to the non-profit or charitable organization coordinating the sport or recreational activity on behalf of the qualifying child. Since each child's financial needs are unique, Canadian Tire Jumpstart's contribution can be made for equipment, registration or transportation costs.
All approvals are the sole discretion of the local Canadian Tire Jumpstart chapter and designated Canadian Tire Jumpstart personnel.
About the Financial Subsidy Program
Each year, minor hockey associations across the OMHA support numerous charities and charitable foundations. Thousands of dollars are generated and many causes and programs benefit from this support.
In 2000 the Minor Hockey Foundation Ontario (MHF) was created to support minor hockey players in the Province of Ontario. This document will focus on the Financial Subsidy Program portion of the MHF. The Financial Subsidy Program provides financial subsidy to minor hockey players who are currently experiencing difficulty raising enough funds to participate in the game.
The Minor Hockey Foundation Ontario Board reviews all applications and a member of the Board contacts the applicant to confirm whether their request will be approved. Donations to applications are not guaranteed. Each request will require a four to six week review period before the applicant will be contacted. All applicants must adhere to the following guidelines:
- All requests can only be made for players aged five to seventeen years old;
- No application will be considered unless all necessary documentation is received in full. The President of the local minor hockey association or governing body will be notified if there are any missing documents.
- Any applicant will play one of four levels of hockey: House, Local, Select/Minor Development League and Representative.
- Each grant will not exceed $300. Financial assistance will vary depending on each case. Financial subsidy cheques will be issued to the applicant’s local minor hockey association or governing body.
How to Apply
- All applications must be submitted to the MHF by 4:30 pm on October 30th of the calendar year. Each application will be reviewed for a period of four to six weeks. Upon receiving the application, the MHF will contact the applicant’s minor hockey association or governing body by mail with an acknowledgement letter. Each applicant will be contacted by the MHF no later than seven weeks after the application is submitted.
- Provide a one-page letter outlining their request.
- Provide a one-page letter from the President or designate of their local minor hockey association or governing body supporting their request.
- Provide proof of total household gross income from the Canadian government from the previous year as noted on the CCRA Notice of Assessment. Gross income must not exceed $20,000 per year (based upon one application per household and/or Board ruling).
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Number of applications approved will be subject to available funds.
- The MHF Board reserves the right to adjudicate individual claims based on merit and special circumstances.
Please send complete applications to the following address:
Minor Hockey Foundation Ontario
Attn: Financial Subsidy Program
25 Brodie Drive, Unit 3
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3K7
E-mail: [email protected]
Privacy Statement: The MHF is committed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). In this regard, the MHF will protect the privacy and security of all personal information disclosed to or collected or used by the MHF for the purposes of running its “Financial Subsidy Program”. The MHF follows the ten (10) Canadian Standards Association principles identified in the federal PIPEDA.
Download the Application